Woodcrest School of Wonder
Welcome to the Fall Semester of the School of Wonder at Woodcrest Retreat. We invite you to join us this school year for hands-on fun and learning. Look over our list of programs and then use the registration link on the right. Class space is limited so sign up early to reserve your space. Payment for all classes is due on the day of your first class. For questions, please call the camp office at 717-738-2233.
You will receive a confirmation email with total payment due. You will also receive an email one week before each registered class that will contain specific instructions for your particular class.
Gym Break — Are you looking for a fun way to spend time after school? Woodcrest is offering if Gym Break Wednesdays after school (4:00-5:30). Each day will include high energy activities like soccer, gaga ball, kickball, and whiffle ball. Learn more by clicking on the flyer located on the menu bar.
What’s Wild — “Why can’t I feed the geese my sandwich?” “Please Mom, can I keep it?” If these are questions your young explorers ask, then this class is for you. In this hands-on session, students will learn the difference between wild and domestic, feral and tame and indigenous and non-indigenous animals, as well as our role in stewarding God’s creatures and our own pets. Games and activities will reinforce the concepts as they are taught so students should wear clothing appropriate for being outside.
- Class A: Grades K-3 Cost: $8.00 Date: Tuesday, September 14th (9:30-11:30) Size: 16 maximum
- Class B: Grades K-3 Cost: $8.00 Date: Tuesday, September 14th (1:00-3:00) Size: 16 Maximum
Note: Parent help is strongly encouraged for students in K-3.
Botany — Each of the Botany classes are standalone classes or they can be taken together as one course for a discounted price. $9/class or $24 for all three. The botany program is designed for students in grades 4 – 7.
- Part 1: Flowers, Seeds, and Spores — In Part 1 we will learn about the ways that plants reproduce. Students will dissect a flower and a seed, make mushroom spore prints to take home, and use microscopes to learn about the incredible design God placed in plant’s cells.
- Grades: 4-7 Cost: $9.00 Date: Tuesday, September 21st (9:30-11:30) Size: 20 maximum
- Part 2: Leaves — This class will teach students about plant pigments, have them do a color chromatography experiment, make leaf prints, study identification methods, and look at leaves through a microscope to see the amazing structures that allow them to turn the sun into energy. This would also be an awesome time to start or add to a leaf collection with the incredible variety of trees that are on found on Woodcrest’s property.
- Grades: 4-7 Cost: $9.00 Date: Tuesday, October 5th (9:30-11:30) Size: 20 maximum
- Part 3: Roots & Stems — Students will learn how a 100-foot Redwood gets water to the top of its leaves by doing fun experiments and activities including, making a root viewing planter that they can take home, doing stem activities, and looking at roots and stems under the microscope to see xylem and phloem that are part of the amazing and beautiful design of plants.
- Grades: 4-7 Cost: $9.00 Date: Tuesday, October 19th (9:30-11:30) Size: 20 maximum
- Note: Registering for all three classes is discounted to $24
Target Training — In this three-part course, students will try their hands at three target sports. On the final day of the class, time will be spent having a friendly tournament. Woodcrest provides all of the equipment and staff supervision.
- Archery — Learn basic archery skills along with safety and then spend time practicing your skills.
- Hatchet Throwing — In recent years hatchet throwing has become quite the trend. Try your hand at this fun and safe target sport.
- Slingshot — Learn the fine skills of using a slingshot with accuracy before joining in a fun tournament.
- Grades: 3-6 Cost: $30 Date: Thursdays (FULL),
- Grades: 3-6 Cost: $30 Date: Tuesdays September 14 & 28 and October 12 (1:00-2:30) Size: 18 students
Catapults & Kingdoms — In this history-based class, students will learn a bit of the history and science behind catapults. Students will work in groups to build a catapult and then participate in a series of games and challenges on the field to test their creation against other teams.
- Grades 6-12 Cost: $9.00 Date: Tuesday, October 12th (1:00-3:00) Size: 20 maximum
Christmas Around the World — A family favorite, our Christmas program combines history, crafts, and baking into one fun-filled event. This year’s class “travels” to Mexico. So join us to learn how Mexican children enjoy Christmas while making Christmas ornaments and enjoy baking some delicious snacks to take home.
- For the Family Cost: $20 family Date: Session A: Tuesday, November 16th (1:00-3:00) Size: 20 Families
- For the Family Cost: $20 family Date: Session B: Tuesday, November 16th (6:30 pm-8:30 pm) Size: 20 Families
- Parents with other children who are not in a class are welcome to use the playgrounds during class time.
- An Emergency Contact Release Form needs to be completed each semester so that School of Wonder staff have access to parents in case of emergency during class time. That form is available on the menu bar and will be included with each confirmation letter. It only needs to be filled out once each semester.
- Payment can be made by mailing a check to Woodcrest Retreat. Credit Card payment can be made over the phone or by stopping in the office prior to your registered class. Payment for all registered classes should be made on the date of your first registered class.
- You will receive an email with arrival instructions for each class the week before the scheduled date.
- Covid 19: If you or your child are feeling ill, please do not attend your registered class. Also if you believe that someone in your family may have recently been exposed to Covid, please refrain from attending class. Refunds can be issued for a health reason.
- If you have other specific questions, please call the camp office.