Who We Are
In existence for over 55 years, Woodcrest Retreat began with a vision in 1957. After prayer and Bible study, a group of businessmen from several Sunday School classes of the Ephrata Mennonite Church, decided that a place of retreat was needed close to home for a place to “come apart and rest awhile” through solitude, relaxation and appreciation of God’s creation.
Woodcrest Retreat officially became an entity on October 2, 1959. Ownership of the camp is by the Woodcrest Retreat Association. This membership association is made up of a body of believers who embrace the mission of Woodcrest Retreat.
The initial purchase of land was 19 acres of woodland. At various times, God has allowed neighboring properties to become available for purchase which has increased our current total acreage to 110.
The vision for a summer camp program, especially a program for low-income and unchurched children, grew out of the Ephrata Mennonite Church. The first camp was held the summer of 1969 and was staffed by members of the Ephrata Mennonite Church. The church sponsored and staffed a day camp program for 27 years. In 1993, Woodcrest Retreat staff organized their own summer camp program to reach additional children with the gospel. Over the years, camp programs have grown to include overnight camps, adventure camps and day camps.
Through the years, pavilions, cabins, shelters, a campground and many recreational choices have been added. Our vision is to continue improving and adding to our programs and facilities for broader ministry.
Woodcrest Retreat is a member of the Christian Camp and Conference Association (CCCA) and the Mennonite Camping Association (MCA).