Spring 2023 homeschool Schedule
Spring is coming and with it Woodcrest Retreat offers our new School of Wonder schedule. We invite you to join us for lots of hands-on fun and learning. Look over our list of programs and then visit us online at www.WoodcrestRetreat.org/education to register. Class space is limited so sign up early to reserve your space. We are now able to accept payment when your register online or you may still bring payment for all classes on the day of your first class. For questions, please call the camp office at 717-738-2233. Don’t forget that you can also schedule a co-op fieldtrip for most of our classes.
Please Note: Our new payable form is still in the develop stage. You may find that some classes are included in the form. We apologize for this and are working on trying to streamline this new site. You will still be emailed a confirmation after we receive your registration that will have a correct total for the classes and would also include any payments we did receive. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this new software.
- Standardized Testing (CAT 6) — Woodcrest is pleased to offer the convenience of local standardized testing. We will proctor the TerraNova/CAT 6 for students (generally taken in grades 3, 5, and 8). We will be offering the core portions of the test which covers reading, language arts, and math. Registration deadline for this class is February 24.
Date: Thursday, March 23rd (9:30-1:00) Grades: 1-12
- Dissection Series — Woodcrest is excited to offer a great experience for older students. We are offering a three part dissection class that will help students learn how to dissect while learning vital systems and organs.
Part 1: Circulatory System—learn the basics of the circulatory system. Make a model of blood, learn the path of blood through the heart and dissect a sheep’s heart.
Part 2: Eye Lab—Do some fun experiments to show how our sense of vision works and then dissect a sheep’s eye to learn the amazing anatomy of the eye.
Part 3: Brain Lab—God designed our brains to do so many amazing things. There will be plenty of fun activities to help us appreciate our brains and then dissect a sheep’s brain.
Dates: Tuesdays, March 21, 28 & April 11th (1:00-3:00) Grades: 7-12
- God in History Series: The Faces of the Civil War Part 1 — We love stories that draw us in to a greater narrative. In American Civil War Part 1, students will be drawn into the faces and stories behind the history books. Discover the reasons for the Civil War and the lives that it touched. This interactive class will introduce students to the exciting storylines of what God was doing behind the curtain of history. (see below for optional fieldtrip)
Date: Tuesday, April 4th (1:00-3:00) Grades 6-12 & Adults
- God in History Field Trip: Gettysburg National Military Park — Come and learn about the battle of Gettysburg by walking the battlefield. The day will consist of a tour of the battlefield in the morning and a visit to the Seminary Ridge Museum in the afternoon. During the tours, our staff will show students how God was working even through a war and what the faces behind the stories can teach us. This is open to all families but is especially encouraged for those who also attend the session. Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy. Fieldtrip will be held from 9:30am-2:30pm. Transportation is not provided. A full itinerary will be sent out. Price includes museum admission and guides.
Date: Monday, April 24th (9:30-2:20) Grades: Families
Cost: $12/ages 5-12 / $15/ages 13-up
- Rocketry — Build and launch an Alpha® model rocket! These rockets can soar up to 1,000ft high. Woodcrest will supply the entire rocket kit so that you can send it soaring during the class. You will also learn important principles of rocketry. Parent participation is permitted. (please note: class price includes one model rocket kit and engine)
Date: (FULL) Thursday, April 13th (1:00-3:30)
(FULL): Session B: Wednesday, April 12th (1:-3:30)
Grades: 3-8Cost: $19/student
- Volunteer Day — Come together with other families to help prepare the camp for the busy summer season while enjoying community. We have lots of projects that are great for getting families outdoors and serving. As our appreciation, we will end our time with a campfire lunch. There is something for everyone in the family to do. Each family will receive a certificate for your portfolio.
Date: Thursday, April 20th (9:30-12:00) Grades: Families
- Consider the Birds — Have you ever wished you knew more about the beautiful, feathered creatures God has placed all around us? Come and learn some basics of backyard bird identification and then dive deeper studying the structure of feathers and some historical uses including going home with your own working quill pen. Finally, we will dive deep with owls of PA and dissect an actual owl pellet as a family.
Date: (FULL) Session A: Tuesday, April 25th (1:00-3:00) — limited space is available. Please call the camp office to reserve.
(FULL) Session B: Tuesday, April 25th (9:30-11:30)
- Appalachian Trail Adventure — Enjoy an adventure on the historic Appalachian Trail. Students will hike from the Jonestown trailhead to the parking lot on Rt. 501 near Pine Grove (about 10 miles). We will camp one night near the William Penn Shelter. On the hike we will cook on own meals, develop campcraft skills, and dig deep into God’s Word. Students will meet at Woodcrest on Monday May 1st at 9:00 a.m.. We will shuttle students to the trailhead and return them to camp on Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. Upon registration a packing list will be sent. Registration includes travel, meals, and snacks.
Dates: Arrive at Woodcrest on Monday, May 1st @ 9:00 a.m. Return to Woodcrest on Tuesday, May 2nd @ 11:00 a.m. Grades: 8-12
- Nature Crafts — For our younger students, Woodcrest’s Nature Crafts is always a favorite. Enjoy a walk through the woods as you collect items to use in making crafts to take home and treasure. Parents are encouraged to participate.
Date: Tuesday, may 2nd (9:30-11:30) Grades: K-3
- Big Ball P.E. — Everything fun can be supersized! Join us for a homeschool P.E. class that will “blow up” your idea of how much fun P.E. can be. We will play all sorts of games that are larger than life.
Date: Tuesday, May 9th (1:00-3:00) Grades: 3-8
- Waterslide Day — We want to thank our families for their support. This fun day is designed for families to simply come and enjoy Woodcrest. Our famous waterslide will be open and our Oak Shade pavilion available for you to have a picnic.
Date: Tuesday, May 23rd (1:00-3:00) Grades: Families
Cost: $3/student or $15/family
- Lifeguard Training Weekend — Become a lifeguard to get yourself a rewarding summer job. Lifeguard Training Weekend will help ensure that you are properly prepared and certified to lifeguard a community pool. Additionally, if you are hired by Woodcrest to lifeguard this summer for our pool, we will cover the cost of your training. Call for more details. Meals are provided on Saturday (lunch and dinner) and snacks for Friday and Saturday.
Dates: Friday, may 19th (6:00-10:00 p.m.) / Saturday, May 20th (8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.) / Sunday, May 21st (1:00-5:00) Ages: 15-up
Cost: $175/student (discounts depending on employment at Woodcrest pool)
To Register for classes visit www.WoodcrestRetreat.org/education
225 Woodcrest Drive Ephrata, PA 17522
Details and Policies
- Parents with other children who are not in a class are welcome to use the playgrounds during class time. Parents are also invited to sit in on classes in the back of the room to observe.
- An Emergency Contact Release Form needs to be completed each semester so that School of Wonder staff have access to parents in case of emergency during class time. That form is available on our School of Wonder page of our website and at each class.
- Payment can be made by mailing a check to Woodcrest Retreat. Credit Card payment can be made over the phone or by stopping in the office prior to your registered class. We are also able to accept payment online at the time of registration. Payment for all registered classes should be made on the date of your first registered class. Once payment is received, there are no refunds for cancellations less than two weeks before scheduled classes or for no shows.
- You will receive an email with arrival instructions and other relevant information for that session, usually the week before the scheduled date. Feel free to contact the camp office with questions.
- If your child or someone in the immediate family are feeling ill, please do not attend your registered class. If you notify Woodcrest before the scheduled class begins, partial refunds may be offered