Journey to Bethlehem
NEW! Register to attend Journey to Bethlehem HERE. Reserve your time-slot to ensure your experience, as Covid restrictions limit walk-in openings.
Fridays December 11 & 18 (6:00-8:30)
Saturdays December 12 & 19 (5:00-8:30)
Experience the true historical story of Christmas and the excitement of our Savior’s birth in a spacious outdoor setting with dramatic actors, a live nativity and real animals. Unique to this event, you will actually walk with the Biblical characters along candlelit wooded trails on the Journey. Interact with shepherds and merchants, and receive items to assist you as you Journey to Bethlehem. Journey to Bethlehem features over 70 actors and real animals.
Scene 1: “The Angel’s Announcement To Mary”
Observe the Angel’s visit with Mary and then join Mary and Joseph on the way to Bethlehem.
Scene 2: “No Room in the Inn”
Experience the disappointment of finding no room in the Inn.
Scene 3: “The Marketplace”
Enjoy the hustle and bustle of the marketplace complete with merchants, wares, and live animals.
Scene 4: “The Shepherd’s Field”
Join the shepherds around a warm crackling campfire watching their sheep by night when suddenly angels appear in the sky and proclaim the news of Jesus’ birth!
Scene 5: “The Stable”
Hurry along with the shepherds to the stable and experience the quiet wonder of finding Baby Jesus in the manger.
Scene 6: “Wise Men Still Seek Him”
A brand new scene! Wise men wrestle with a decision: do they leave their comfortable palace to begin a long, dangerous trek through the desert, just for a chance to meet some far-off king?
- Reserve your tentative time slot, see registration above.
- Plan to arrive 20-30 minutes before your tentative scheduled time slot.
- Masks are encouraged while inside buildings and during bus transportation.
- Entire group must be present when entering IRC building to begin the Journey.
- “Journey to Bethlehem” participants will be welcomed to Woodcrest Retreat with over 300 luminaries lining the entrance and trails.
- Parking: Upon arrival, guests will be directed to the parking area and then proceed to Census Registration.
- Every 10 minutes, groups of 30 will board a bus and be transported to the top of the hill to begin “The Journey to Bethlehem”.
- “The Journey” will take approximately 45-60 minutes. You will want to allow for extra “wait time.”
- A bus will transport guests back to the parking area.
- Since the “Journey” takes place outside, participants will need to dress warmly and wear appropriate shoes or boots.
- Additional Covid considerations: We consider The Journey to be a lower-risk activity due to the majority of time spent outdoors. In addition to pre-registration, which will remove the large indoor crowd, we have taken steps to create a safer atmosphere. This includes replacing the full wagon-ride with a better spaced bus and making small scene changes to help groups bunch together less.